Technology is a curse and a blessing. I grew up in the 80’s and therefore, without cellphones, laptops or xbox ones. I’m pretty sure I was better off. I remember gazing quizzically at my brother’s very first iPod. It was roughly the size of a deck of cards and I couldn’t fathom why anyone would prefer that thing over making mixed tapes. And right there is where the differences begin with me and Steve Jobs. I had zero vision of the impending Apple world takeover that was about to occur.
Fast forward 15 years and I feel as though I literally cannot live without technology. My iPhone is the bane of my husband’s existence (ever since I started blogging!) and I own three iPads, two iPods and a MacBook Pro. I’m so intertwined with Apple, it’s ridiculous. Which, of course, is where the problem lies.
As recently as last summer, I didn’t own a Mac. I decided it was high time for all my Apple products to happily sync over the cloud, and so I headed to the Apple store 45 minutes away. Crazily thinking someone would want to help me, since I was willing to dish out over a grand for a laptop, I envisioned a pleasant greeting. Instead I was halted by an iPad-wielding gustapo at the front of an empty store.
You see, I was there at 10am (SAHM hours) and there wasn’t a soul in the store. However, I wasn’t allowed in without an appointment. Seriously. Apparently everything at the Apple store is done on an iPad or it isn’t done.
And so began my list of the things I hate about Apple:
1. The iPad Thing: In any Apple store on the planet, you will be greeted with someone holding an iPad. As they “talk” to you, they will tap away at it and then direct you to another iPad-wiedling person, depending on why you’re there. They have color coded them in terms of tasks – blue for genius bar waiting, red for one-on-one waiting and silver for I’m-smarter-and-cooler-then-you waiting. Do you see the word these all have in common? That’s right. As Jerry Sienfeld famously said, “You can TAKE the reservation but you don’t know how to KEEP the reservation!”
2. Updates, updates and more updates: These didn’t really bother me until this last go-around. Why? Because I have a 13.2GB phone. The latest update takes up 4.8GB of space! I tried deleting most of my pictures and videos (for a blogger this is like sticking toothpicks under your nails!) and I still don’t have enough room. How can they make a 13GB phone and then give you an update that requires 4.8GB of space? I’ll tell you why – so you’re forced to either buy more storage or buy the new phone.
Suck it Apple!
3. New phones: Yes, as long as I’m an Apple customer, there will always be a new phone. I understand that it’s a business and they have this crazy scheme to turn a profit. However, I don’t like to be bullied into getting the new phone. I want to at least feel like I can chose to get it. And when I so chose, I actually want to be able to get the f-ing phone.
I’m not going to stand in a line outside of the store at midnight just to get one. However, I waited a few weeks to order mine. At first they said three weeks, which in and of itself is ridiculous. Now, I received an email saying it may not ship until Nov 14th. WTF? For a company that defines technology, how is it no one there has mastered supply and demand?
4. The ramifications of not updating: So now, I’m stuck. I can’t update my phone so it keeps bugging out on me. It will suddenly just go to the dreaded apple screen and re-boot or give me some kind of crazy alert about a text message and then I have to re-boot.
I paid how much for this hassle?
5. The Owl Case: It really comes down to this. I absolutely love my phone case. I’ve used it since the kids were babies because they would smile each time I took their picture. It has the same effect on adults. I’ve received more compliments on it then anything else I own. It has traveled with me around the country and the world.
The issues are that #1 I bought it in a little boutique store and I’ve never seen anything else like it #2 even the “smaller” of the two new Apple phones is too big for it.
I hate you Apple.
And now, the very short list of things I love, since this is a love/hate post:
1. Reliability: I’ve never had an issue with my MacBook Pro. It fell from the back of a ladies room stall hook a year ago, and it has been going strong ever since. My husband has almost all MicroSoft products and his SurfacePro has given him nothing but headaches from the first day out of the box.
2. Quiet Time: The other two iPads are used by my kids. It has enabled me to have pleasant conversations with other adults, countless quiet dinners out, and is my emergency go-to when I have to quick finish an article and need the boys to be quiet!
That’s about it.
Do me a favor and do not share this post. All I need is for some jerk at Apple to see it and I’ll never get my new phone!
How do you feel about technology?
Do you have Apple products?
I’ve seen the case and it is spectacular! You can’t give it up. Yeah, I too have that love/hate relationship with the Jobs empire. My phone is still dying and yet I don’t want to go to the store. Damned if we do, damned if we don’t.
And as someone who grew up with the first Texas Instruments TRS80, I do think life was better before. (Do a google image on that modern piece of equip!)
I can kind of relate. I feel like they update their technology so frequently so they can force you to buy new products. It’s been somewhat of a nightmare. I’m glad someone else doesn’t enjoy everything about technology. I’ve found my older iphone has worked well but my ipad has been more hassle then it’s worth.
Sometimes more is just more! Glad you can relate.
You know I love Apple and their products, but even I can concur that I have totally had some of the same complaints like I pre-ordered the new phone within two hours on the first day pre-orders went up and was going to have to wait over a month to get my new phone. I haphazardly went online two after the phone got released to order to pickup at my local store to cancel that earlier pre-order. So crazy how I got new phone same day and my pre-order got me nothing. Not sure how that works but still crazy! And don’t even get me started on the updates!
I just don’t understand what it’s such a HUGE hassle no matter what. They know the new product is coming out and they sure as hell know how many users they have and can predict how many new phones they’re going to need. Seems so simple. At least you have a new one!!
Yep! I hear you, and we are all kind of addicted. i think apple is headed for a big fall….but at the same time, I can’t step away….I am drawn to them! The other day I was talking to my dad about how I hate big, corporate brands, and I don’t use them….he reminded me that apple is a textbook example of one….ooops! That kinda makes me mad at myself!
I have had a lot of these same feelings about apple….yet here I stand pretty much decided that I am going to get the 6 on Thursday when we go to get our new contract…damn.
I know! They suck you in and then you’re screwed!! I hate being an Apple slave but that’s what I’ve become. *hangs head in shame*
You have how many iPads?! Omg. You really are addicted to the fruit!! I have heard some crazy stories about the Apple Store and I have only been to one once and the experience wasn’t the best. I have had the last 3 phones but nothing else … I do have a ridiculously old touch that holds all of my old music and when I asked an apple expert if I could get the music off he told me no. (Cries to the heavens) hope fully you will get your phone soon, out of curiousity did you get the 6 or the 6plus??
It’s not as bad as it sounds with the iPads. My husband got one when they first came out and we still have it. My stepmom dropped hers and there’s a small crack in the corner, so she gave it to the boys and got a new one. And then my husband won a mini but he doesn’t use it so I totally took it over. As for size – I went with the 6. It’s big enough!! The 6Plus is like a mini iPad. My dad has it and we all make fun of him.
With a husband in IT, we’ve got tech stuff coming out of our ears. Although he isn’t just loyal to Apple…we’ve got a nice mix of everything. And the Surface? Worst thing ever! The Verizon Wireless store is just as bad as the Apple store. So annoying!
Isn’t it hard to mix though? I felt like I needed all Apple products so everything synchs. I guess they brainwashed me!! And yes, that Surface is horrible!!!
I’m typing this on a Surface Pro right now, and I have to say, that it’s the best device that I’ve ever owned. Since the day that I’ve gotten it, it hasn’t really ever left my side, and the greatest thing about it is that it’s the only thing I ever carry around!
This is coming from someone who used to have a Macbook Pro for work, an IPhone 4s and a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 before that.
I’m glad you love it so much. Thanks for the comment!
Hi Allie we had the same problem when we wanted to update!! We used the app trunx and put all our kids there. If you can’t bfind the app try downloading all your pics to your computer then you can upload them back to you phone!! Good luck!!:-) 🙂 🙂 Keep blogging you always make us smile!:-) 🙂
Thanks Jayne! I know I can do that I just don’t WANT to! I’m being very unreasonable and stubborn 🙂 I’m so glad my blogging makes you smile. That makes me feel A LOT better!!
I am SO WITH YOU!!! I love, love, love my Apple products…until I hate them like when my iPhone literally got super hot and started randomly melting one day…or the fact that the new iOS8 is draining my phone battery and I can’t go back to the old iOS I was perfectly happy with. Still….I’m hooked!! (I had an Android phone before the iPhone came to Verizon…and I like Apple more in spite of how irritated I get sometimes) –Lisa
That’s what makes it SO frustrating!!! If I could let go of the love, I may be better off. And, I agree about this iOS version – it’s perfectly fine!!
I think I remember the story about your phone randomly melting. #scary
LOL! This is why when I just switched to a smart phone I went with a Samsung. My kids insist on getting the IPhones but I am content with what I picked. I would however love to get a MacBook because their computer are head and shoulders above any Windows based system. I love that owl case too btw!
Thanks Kris. And yes, my MacBook is great and zero issues and/or updates! I’m still trying to figure out the case issue…hmmmmm.
OMG, we are the same. We have 2 ipads, 2 iphones and 2 macbooks! I can’t download the new software on my phone either because as you said I don’t have enough storage, despite deleting everything on my camera roll which is sheer panic when it happens, despite everything being on the Icloud…but I can’t even imagine not having the technology! And OMG, I LOVE the owl case, so cute!!
Holy crap YES we are the same! Now I need to find two owl cases since you clearly need to have one as well!!
I’m right there with you on this one!!
I did the last update and it took me over an hour to delete stuff on my phone just to have enough storage.
I don’t have a super cute case because I drop my phones multiple times every day.
My MacBook Air (I also have a MacBook Pro) makes me HAPPY!!!!
And, I hate Apple stores – I buy all my products at Best Buy – so much easier and user friendly!!!
Thank you Kim!! I’m so done with the stores. I should have just ordered my phone online and I probably would have had it by now!
I use a MAC at my job, but we are 100% PC people at home. My oldest daughter got an iPhone once. My husband almost banished from our family for committing such treachery. She now has a Samsung.
I’m so far into Apple that getting a Samsung at this point may make my head explode!
The owl case rocks!
I remember when my sister got her first iPhone and she said, “I like it because it.. you know.. works.” And that’s how I feel. I have an iPhone and an iMac. I could never go back to any other phones or PCs. Ever.
I hear ya. I just bought a Mac desktop after being a PC user my whole life. There’s a learning curve, but the pros outweigh the cons. I also just got the iphone 6 (shipped in three days – sorry!) and I LOVE it. Just paid $1 a month for more iCloud storage, and I’m happy. For now.
Three days??? How is that possible??? Ugh, the frustration grows…
LOVE technology and my new mac book air!! John despises anything apple so it is a bit of an issue. The macbook is so fast. way more efficient than before.
Yes, I love my MacBook – it’s just the phone!!! It kills me.
I love your writing! Yes, I’m an apple fan and a technology geek.
Thank you Jill! I’m only a partial Apple fan but I wouldn’t switch phones either. It’s a catch 22.
Hahaha love that case! And agreed, I really don’t like going into apple stores. The updates are mandatory, lets just call a spade a spade. they’re not suggested, they’re not recommended, they’re mandatory lest your device go all haywire and revolt against you. I dont have an ipad, but now that i upgraded to the iphone 6 i feel like i do 🙂
Seriously! You are right on with that – they are mandatory!!!
1. If they turned you away at the door it’s because you got there before official opening hours when only genius bar or one to one customers are allowed to come in. Also, the iPads are there to manage the reservation system and, for customers who need purchasing help, to place them in queue for an available specialist on busy days.
2. The size of the latest update does suck for users of 16 gig phones but you can also do the same update from your computer and not have to worry about deleting anything unless you’re critically out of space and then you only need to delete a small amount. As long as you’re backed up to the cloud or your important stuff is on your computer then you can even erase the phone to get to the newest software and restore from your backups.
3. No one is forcing you to get a phone on launch day. Apple knows a great deal about supply and demand, but even with unlimited resources it’s almost impossible to serve everybody at one time. Not to mention the fact that the phone launches globally and all those other countries want phones too.
4. If your phone is having issues like that, updating may not solve the peoples anyway. Something could be wrong with the hardware. Backup your stuff and make a genius bar appointment to have one of the “smarter-and-cooler-then-you” people do their job and try to help you.
5. The owl case is cute, yes, but if Apple, or any compsny, didn’t change their products with time then they would get stuck behind. And then you’d be writing a post about why this year’s phone looks like the one 3 years ago and you want a different design. You’d have the same people if you had an android phone and wanted to get a new one, so that’s not really an Apple problem.
4… Solve the problems anyway.
5…same problem if you had an android phone.
Well hello Mr. X. Thank you for detailing such great responses to all my, ahem…concerns.
#1 Why are there hours when only a genius bar or one on one customers are allowed in? Plus, I’m not kidding when I tell you there was NO ONE but employees in the store and hardly anyone in the mall. It was also the attitude not just the refusal.
#2 Thank you for agreeing to the “suckage” that is the update for us 16 gig holders. I deleted a ton (I’m down to 800 pictures and no videos) and I STILL don’t have enough space. And, I don’t want to erase all my pictures since I often post/update blog/social media from my phone. It was never an issue, until now.
#3 I’m pretty much forced to buy a phone on launch day if I actually want to get one. I’m pretty sure all the people who waited in line to get one, got one. I ordered mine on Oct 8th and it MAY get shipped on Nov 14th. That’s completely ridiculous! Plus, someone else commented here that she got it shipped in 3 days? I hate the inconsistency. What gives?
#4 There was absolutely nothing wrong with my phone until I didn’t install the update. About 10 days later, I started having issues. Before the updates? Nothing. At all. Ever. Let’s face it, like Charlotte commented below – these updates are mandatory.
#4 I was perfectly happy with my current phone until this update came out. Then, I was perfectly happy to get a 6 until I couldn’t get it and now my phone is malfunctioning because I can’t update it. It’s just VERY frustrating.
I appreciate you taking the time to comment here. THANK YOU!
Apple opens early for appointments as a convenience to people. Also, as the store is closed to general customers, the early hours are prime training times because of the low noise levels. I’m sorry you got an attitude from the person at the door. You can always email the store if you felt slighted. Every Apple store is the store name (you can get the exact store name from the url of that store’s website) at Apple.com.
If you want to do the update let iTunes do it for you and you shouldn’t have to worry about your pictures. Make sure you’ve backed up your data first, however.
And again, you don’t have to buy a phone on launch to get one if you’re willing to wait. And for the person who got hers in 3 days it all depends on what color, storage size, if you ordered a regular six or a plus and also how soon you were able to preorder that day. The regular sixes are shipping much quicker.
Saying that your phone was fine until the update came out implies that Apple had intentionally crippled your phone and that is simply not true. There are many people who have not upgraded to iOS 8 whose phones work perfectly fine. If your phone is full you could be at the point were all useable storage is gone which can cause problems like that. I suggest you make a genius bar appointment and have then take a look at it. Back up your data first.
I love that Owl case, so cute!
I don’t like iPhones. I’m a Droid girl.
I do however, use a MacBook Air. Only because it was the only available laptop lying around the house when my Dell died after a water er, accident.
Right…an accident. Happens all the time.
I understand what you mean. I hate most of the updates. I get used to a certain way, and then updates change things around, and this upsets me.
I do love my Macbook though! So much better than Windows, so far. I’ve had it for a year with no issues.
And we love our iPad!
I think it’s really just the phone! So annoying. Thanks Amber.
I am so anti-Apple, man. I love all of my Android products, and I just don’t get the Apple obsession! I had one iPod back in the day, and it lasted for about 6 mos. The person at the store told me to just buy another one. Um, no. And such ended my brief relationship with Apple.
Yeah they LOVE saying that! That happened with one of my iPads. The bad thing is that, with all these updates and new products, they very quickly stop supporting the “old” ones. And by “old” I mean one year!